Thursday, February 12, 2015

Cranberry Scones



I love to bake.  Unfortunately, I love to eat what I bake, so I don't bake that often.  My mother was a terrific baker.  She understood how comforting food could be.  If someone had a birthday or was recovering from an illness, she'd bake them their favorite pie or cake or cookies.  She spoiled me for delicious home-baked goodies.

I had some non-dairy cream left over from a dinner recipe and I didn't want to waste it.  I remembered that this recipe used cream, so I dug out some frozen cranberries and about an hour later, I had warm cranberry scones.

I don't remember where I found this recipe.  I thought the copy was large enough to read, but it looks sort of small here.  If you can't read it, let me know and I'll send you a larger copy via e-mail.  You can use the recipe as written, but I'm a vegan, so I use non-dairy coconut creamer and Earth Balance instead of butter.  Earth Balance even comes in sticks, which are easier for baking.  Both are delicious  substitutes for cream and butter.  I defy anyone to taste the difference.



  

8 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Are there any left? Can I come over? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are plenty and I can always bake more. Come to Philly!

      Delete
  2. I wish I could come over, they look great. My scones usually resemble hockey pucks, but I'll give these ones a go in the hope that I can make them edible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just get in your teleporter and teleport yourself over! Scones waiting and ready! I was always told that if you're using baking powder you should stir as little as possible; baking soda, stir as much as you'd like. So don't stir these scone much and they should be light and lovely.

      Delete
  3. Cranberry scones are my favorite, Joan! Eat one for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like we're having a tea party, so come on down!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I wish all my blogger friends could drop by for a scone and a cup of hot tea (especially since it's cold today!)!

      Delete