Friday, September 18, 2015

A Street Cat Named Bob - James Bowen


I believe it was Travellin' Penguin who mentioned this book.  She said it was very popular, all over the Internet, and that she didn't know how she'd missed it.  Well, I missed it, too.  She also said that the cat doesn't die at the end of the book.  That was enough for me to ask for my library's copy.  I no longer read books or see movies in which animals are hurt or die.  There's enough of that in real life.

Bob and James Bowen found each other when they were down and out in London.  James was a recovering addict working as a street busker.  Bob showed up on his doorstep.  James tried to find Bob's owner and originally didn't want to keep him.  But they quickly formed a strong bond and James realized that caring for Bob helped him in his recovery.

They became an Internet sensation when Bob started riding to work on James's shoulder, riding on the bus with him, and sitting in his guitar case while James performed.  Life working on the street is hard, but James explains why some people do it.  Bob attracted a lot of attention and affection, increasing James's income.  People knitted scarves for Bob, yes, for Bob, not for James!  They brought gifts and food for him.  They took photos and videos.

The book is simply written.  There were no photos in my copy, but you can Google Bob and James and find quite a few videos of them.  I wish them both well in their voyage through life.  And I wish we could take our pets to all the places that apparently welcome them in Great Britain.  Here, only my bank and some restaurants with outdoor seating welcome dogs.

8 comments:

  1. That's so typical that people knitted scarves for Bob but not for James!
    I was in a coffee/gift shop today which welcomed dogs. Most pubs do too but my brother's local banned dogs for a while as there were so many in there and one night they all started fighting - a change from the drinkers fighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only ever seen one dog misbehave in a store. I wish we could take our dogs everywhere we go, within reason. We used to tie our Irish Wolfhound, Morgan, outside stores sometimes because we didn't think anyone would have the nerve to take him. Besides, he'd never go anywhere without us. But now I'd never consider leaving a dog tied outside while I went inside.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, it's so nice they found each other at the time in their lives when they needed each other. Seems they take care of each other.

      Delete
  3. Bob looks like a very wise and awesome cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly comes off that way in the book. I was impressed by his intuition as described by the author.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a heartwarming read, Joan. I agree with you about the difference in acceptance of our pets between the UK and here. On one of the cliff walks in Maine there was a house that set out a big bowl of water with a sign Water for the dogs! I thought that was so nice. I took a pic of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice book, especially because, unlike a lot of animal books, Bob the cat was still around at the end. I've never recovered from Old Yeller, Black Beauty, The Yearling, etc.
      Some stores around Philly put water out for dogs, too. It is nice, I just wish dogs were allowed in stores and cafes.

      Delete