Wednesday, August 2, 2017

July Books Read

How's that for a creative title?  I thought about calling this post 'D'you Lie (get it? D'you lie' 'July') About the Books You Read?', but I thought that was a stretch.  I can hear you groaning!

But back to the job.  Here's my list of books I read last month:

The Chalk Pit  -  Elly Griffiths

The 13 Clocks  -  James Thurber

Love for Lydia  -  H. E. Bates

And Four to Go  -  Rex Stout

Because of the Lockwoods  -  Dorothy Whipple

The Bones in the Attic  -  Robert Barnard

The Catacomb Conspiracy  -  Margot Arnold

The Winner  -  David Baldacci

Anne of Green Gables  -  L. M. Montgomery

A few of the mysteries were disappointing.  I warned you that Love for Lydia was laid thick with an aura of disaster and pain.  I liked The Chalk Pit, as I've enjoyed all of the books in that series.  But, hands down, my favorite was Anne of Green Gables.  I highly recommend it for anyone needing a does of humor, tenderness, and hope.


6 comments:

  1. There are a few books there that I want to read, especially the Elly Griffiths one and Dorothy Whipple. You'll enjoy the other Anne books I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I branched out just a bit from my steady diet of mysteries. I like all the Elly Griffith / Ruth Galloway mysteries and I've enjoyed the few Dorothy Whipple novels I've been able to find.

      Delete
  2. I read Bones in the Attic and can't remember a thing about it, guess that tells you I must not have been impressed. Or I'm just getting old :) Anne of Green Gables hands down the best! Just picked up my first Elly Griffiths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people love Robert Barnard, but I've never really gotten into him. BTW, I often can't remember books I've read only a few months ago! I definite agree with you about Anne of Green Gables. I hope you enjoy the Elly Griffiths.

      Delete
  3. I just wrote a long comment and then did not publish it. My fault entirely not blogger for once.

    I love And Four to Go by Stout, but Stout is my favorite author ever, so no surprise there. I do like a lot of Robert Barnard's books but I remember not being impressed by Bones in the Attic. I like his earlier novels.

    I am looking forward to reading 13 Clocks, probably in September. Thanks again for sending me your copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to have missed your long comment! Rex Stout and Ellery Queen are probably my favorite older mystery writers, both consistently good. I think it's rare for an author to hit the spot every single time, especially if they're that prolific.
      I'm always happy to find good homes for the books I'm getting rid of!

      Delete