Saturday, December 30, 2017

December's Books

Not that anyone's been clamoring for more, but I hope to get back to more frequent and chattier posts after 2018 gets underway.  We're still in the middle of moving, painting and overseeing a few updates to the new house and decluttering the old one.  Next Sunday is our first and only open house for the sale.  Fingers crossed that someone falls in love with all the old woodwork, the swinging kitchen door with stained glass, and all the other little and big things.  We're hoping that someone will be as happy in this house as we hope to be in our new one.

Before I get to the books I read, I'm so sad to read that Sue Grafton has died.  I love the Kinsey Millhone books and was eagerly waiting for the 'Z' book.  Grafton's husband says that she didn't get to write 'Z', so, for some of us, the alphabet will forevermore be incomplete.  I heard Grafton interviewed several years ago and she seemed like someone who was down to earth and would be fun to know.  RIP.

I didn't have time to read much in December, but I took a break from cleaning today and finished two books.  Here's what I read in December:

I Know a Secret  -  Tess Gerritsen

Life from Scratch  -  Sasha Martin

Double, Double  -  Ellery Queen

Death Overdue  -  Mary Lou Kirwin

Poison in the Pen  -  Patricia Wentworth

Harcore Twenty-Four  -  Janet Evanovich

Anne of Avonlea  -  L. M. Montgomery

A Little Neighborhood Murder  -  A. J. Orde

One day soon, I hope to be lying on the sofa in my new library, listening to the birds and watching the trees sway in the wind.

7 comments:

  1. I think you probably read more than I managed in December. Was Anne of Avonlea a re-read? Good luck with the open house day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember reading any of the Anne books when I was young, so they are all new to me. I really liked Anne of Green Gables, but as Anne ages in Anne of Avonlea, her antics and attitudes sometimes seem forced. I loved Miss Lavendar in the Avonlea book, though.

      Delete
  2. I love Patricia Wentworth! Can you believe I've never read Ellery Queen? I'm not much of a reader of new mysteries, but have heard of Tess Gerritson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver mysteries. I also love Miss Marple, so you see I have a predilection for elderly, spinster detectives. I like the older Ellery Queens better than some of the later one. I definitely like Gerritson's Rizzoli & Isles books.

      Delete
  3. Joan, you do lovely chatty posts we love to read! I’m dying of curiosity about how your open house went. Fingers crossed it sold just like that! I came across an old black and white movie Poison Pen that sounds like it was based on Wentworth book. Haven’t watched it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like chatty posts so we bloggers can get to know each other. If I wanted only book reviews, I'd subscribe to the NY Times or the Literary Supplement.
      Thanks for your good wishes about the house. The open house is tomorrow and there seems to be a lot of interest. I'm doing a bit of last minute cleaning. I hope someone falls in love with the house. It's a very nice house and there are a lot of things about it that we'll miss. But we're looking forward to more outdoor space and one-floor-living (if we want, it actually has two floors and a finished basement) in our new house.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I forgot to say that your black and white movie is probably based on the Wentworth book. I'm pretty sure I read that some of the books were made into movies, but I can't recall if I've seen any. Lucky you!

      Delete