Tuesday, March 27, 2018

New Library in Progress

I know I'm lucky that I've been able to have a room in several of the houses we've lived in that can be used strictly for a library.  I've always had bookcases or built-ins even if they weren't in a separate room.  Like many of you, books tend to migrate all around the house and end up in every room.

The bookshelves in my new library have been installed and the paint has cured, so I'm unpacking my boxes of books.  When I packed them, I numbered the boxes as I took the books off the shelves.  My fiction is in alphabetical order, my history starts with archeology and proceeds through more modern times.  Then there are the miscellaneous books:  poetry, Bibles, religion, and myth, art books.

Here's a photo of where I ended today, with the 'L's.  The books by themselves on the right are what I have to do to make sure the books are in order.  When packing, not all books would fit in the proper box.  So I have to unpack Fiction #6 and Fiction #7 at the same time to make sure I have all the books that belong, if you follow me.  And sometimes I get tired and start shelving out of order.  But I love touching my books, remembering where I bought them or who gave them to me.  I want to stop and dip into all of them, but then I'd never get them in their new home.


I haven't figured out yet if all the books will fit on the shelves.  I'm feeling optimistic, but I haven't done the math yet.  What's on the shelves are the first 10 boxes of a total of 51.  But look, I have all these shelves to fill!


I'll keep you posted on my progress.  I just can't wait until all my books are where I can see them and read them.  


6 comments:

  1. Ooh you have metamorphic library steps - you lucky thing! It's all looking great, fingers crossed you have room for them all. What are the books on the top left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are an almost complete set of Balzac. I like old sets of books. I bought my set of 25 Sir Walter Scott, I believe a complete set, with annotations! for $3.50 back in the 1970s or 80s. I still treasure them. The Washington Irving set is on the top self on the right. I'll post more photos as I fill the shelves.

      Delete
  2. Very lovely. I am envious of all those built in bookcases. And I look forward to more photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been lucky with our houses in that I've almost always been able to have a dedicated library. I know I'm a spoiled brat! We had a couple of friends here last night and they started a pool, betting how many boxes I'd have left over after filling the shelves. I'm not allowed to stuff books in any old way, not that I'd do that. Toting the boxes from the sun room to the library isn't far, but it takes a toll, so I doubt I'll finish shelving by Sunday. I'll keep you posted and will post more photos.

      Delete
  3. I’m so envious too! Their lovely Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so lucky. I'm almost embarrassed to post the photos.

      Delete