Sunday, January 31, 2016

Stillmeadow Album - Gladys Taber


I've been feeling self-indulgent lately, so I ordered this book from a used book store on-line.  It's just what it says:  a photograph album of Gladys Taber's home, Stillmeadow, beloved by the author and by readers around the world and through the decades.

On the right page is a photo of Stillmeadow, on the facing page, Mrs. Taber has written a brief description of or memory about the photo.  (I just realized that the set-up of this book is exactly like that of the last one I posted about, Postmark Paris.)  We get to see the exterior of the 1690 Connecticut Saltbox house, the interiors, photos of her family, pets, and neighbors, and some of the land around the house.

If you're a fan of her writings, which I am, you'd love this look into her life via photographs and words.


2 comments:

  1. This seems like a perfectly marvelous thing to indulge in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be able to see a place you've been reading about. I had to laugh, though. Jack and I are addicted to the house renovation shows on HGTV. We're always amazed at the things people seem to require in houses these days and how unhappy they are with old things. Most people would be appalled by the irregularities of houses as old as Stillmeadow. Our last house was 300 years old and I think it was sturdier than our current house, which was built in the early 1800s. I wonder if anyone would buy our house because it has small closets, if any, and has no 'open concept' kitchen and the rooms are small. Seems we all need about 2,000 sq. ft. each these days!

      Delete