Wednesday, August 31, 2016

August Books

It's been so long since I posted anything that I've almost forgotten how to do it!  The day's not over, but here's my list of books finished in August.

Juggling  -  Barbara Trapido

The Judas Cat  -  Dorothy Salisbury Davis

A Chill Rain in January  -  L. R. Wright

Murder and Mendelssohn  -  Kerry Greenwood

Moranthology  -  Caitlin Moran

The Hidden Child  -  Camilla Lackberg

Heaven's Keep  -  William Kent Krueger

The Thai Amulet  -  Lyn Hamilton

There were some decently entertaining books in the group and several that didn't measure up.  As you can see, I was escaping into mysteries once again.  Those are my comfort reads.

I can't believe that summer's almost over.  This weekend is Labor Day which, to many of us, signals the end of summer.  It shouldn't for me since I'm all but retired.  It's hard to shake those old habits, though.  At this time of year, I'm always gripped by the urge to buy pencils and notebooks and other school supplies, even though I haven't seen the inside of a school for almost fifty years.

I will, however, be glad to see an end to the high heat and humidity that ruined the summer for me.  My body has never been able to deal with those things.  I melt into a moaning heap.  I long for some cool breezes and cloudy weather.  Our city house has no outdoor space to speak of.  I long for big trees and rustling leaves, shade, peace and quiet.


2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of those books - yet. I hope that your weather does become cooler now, ours has. But I still have hopes for a late Indian summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning, it's 68F in Philadelphia. The high today is predicted to be 82F, but the temperatures are supposed to go back into the 90s next week. Autumn can't come fast enough for me!

      Delete