Monday, August 1, 2016

The Drowning - Camilla Lackberg


A responsible family man disappears one morning before work.  The police haven't been able to find him.  Foul play?  Or did he intentionally disappear?  His body, frozen in the ice, is found by a dog.  The man has been stabbed several times.  Why?

Patrick Hedstrom is the police detective in charge and he and his team have come up with nothing.  His wife, Erica Falck, very pregnant with twins, has been working with a local author who's written a best seller.  She discovers that he's been receiving anonymous threatening letters.  He doesn't want to go to the police, but he was a friend of the murdered man and Erica feels there's a link.

Erica digs into the author's past and finds some horrifying information.  She has to hand it over to her husband to help him in his investigation.  They find that others have received letters, too.  All of them are friends.  They all swear that they have no idea who is sending them or why.  But that's not true.

The solution caught me by surprise, although I had started to suspect.  However, I had forgotten that Lackberg ends her books in this series with cliffhangers - and what a doozy this one is!  I want to leap to the next book in the series, but I'm in the middle of some other books and I also realized that I skipped book number 5.  This is a series that is best read in order.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything by Lackberg but her books are in Fife libraries, so I'll have a go. Should they be read in order do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think they should be read in order. They have a character / life progression that will be difficult to sort out if you don't read them in order. I think you'd like them.

      Delete
  2. Always reviews of her books are good! I have to see if my library has them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they do. I really like the series. Good characters, interesting locations, original plots.

      Delete