Saturday, June 3, 2017

The Monkey's Mask - Dorothy Porter




I couldn't resist a book hyped as 'an erotic muder mystery' -  in verse.  Really?  I've certainly never read one of those before.

My library had a copy, so I got it and read it in two days.  I probably could have read it in one if I had started it earlier in the day.

It is in verse.  There is a murder.  It is a mystery.  The investigator is a lesbian who falls in love with a the murdered girl's poetry professor, who has a boyfriend.  I didn't think it was very erotic.

Normally, I abhor fiction with a gimmick.  But this one didn't bother me at all.  I can't say that I recommend it, but for novelty's sake, you might be interested.  It seems to be one of a kind.

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of a mystery in verse! The plot sounds good. I have read a couple of novels in verse that I very much enjoyed, one about a "sandwich generation" woman whose mother is growing old. It was excellent (a pity I can't remember the name of it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the oddest reading experiences I've had. Now that you mention it, I do think I've heard of novels in verse, but I haven't read any.

      Delete